Roast Chicken with Lemon and Rosemary Roast Potatoes
Adapted from Jamie's Dinners by Jamie Oliver
4 1/2 pound organic chicken
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
4 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into golf-ball sized pieces
1 large lemon
1 whole bulb garlic, separated into cloves
handful fresh thyme
handful fresh rosemary sprigs, leaves stripped
optional: 4 slices bacon
1. Rub the chicken inside and out with the salt and pepper. Place back in the fridge until ready to roast (preferably you will do this in the morning).
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the potatoes, lemon, and garlic (unpeeled). Cook for 12 minutes, drain and allow to steam dry for 1 minute. Remove the lemon and garlic and place the potatoes back in the pan while still hot.
3. Take the chicken out of the fridge and blot it with paper towels. While the lemon is still hot, pierce it several time with a fork and place it in the cavity of the chicken along with the garlic and the thyme. Rub the outside of the chicken with olive oil. Place in roasting pan and cook at 375 degrees for approximately 45 minutes.
4. Remove chicken from the pan and toss the potatoes and rosemary leaves in the drippings. Make room for the chicken and place it back into the center of the pan. Lay the bacon strips over the breast meat if desired. Return to the oven and roast an additional 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked and potatoes are tender and golden brown.
5. Remove the bacon and crumble it up over the potatoes. Remove the lemon and garlic from the chicken. Squeeze the garlic all over the chicken and potatoes. Discard the lemon. Carve and enjoy!