Greek Chicken with Feta and Tomatoes
adapted from Fresh Everyday
by Sara Foster
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 lemon, juiced and zested
1 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 small onion, diced
4 plum tomato, cored and chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup Greek olives, pitted
1 tablespoon dried basil
2 ounces feta cheese, cubedDirections:
1. Rinse the chicken breasts under cool water, pat dry with paper towels, and place them in a shallow dish to marinate.
2. Stir the lemon zest and juice, wine, oregano, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl. Pour the marinade over the chicken and rub it into all sides. Cover and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight. Bring to room temperature before cooking. (I used my Food Saver instant marinator for 1 hour. Works like a charm!)
3. Heat the olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until the butter melts. Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade, reserving the marinade to make the sauce, and place them in the skillet. Cook the chicken breasts, turning only once, for 4 to 5 minutes per side, until lightly brown on both side. Transfer to a platter and cover loosely with foil to keep warm while you prepare the sauce.
4. Add the onion and tomatoes to the skillet, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 to 3 minutes, until the onion is soft and translucent and the tomatoes soften and release liquid. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the reserved marinade and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until the liquid has reduced by half. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
5. Return the chicken to the skillet with the sauce. Add the olives and the basil and simmer on low heat 6 to 8 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and feels firm to the touch.
6. Transfer the chicken breasts to a platter or individual plates. Spoon the sauce over each breast and scatter the feta cubes over the top. Garnish with additional fresh oregano if desired and serve warm.